Saturday, July 28, 2012

Featured Teacher: Mel D


1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I started in July 2011. My main reason is wanting to share my creations with teachers all over the world, make a little money on the side. My husband and I really want a child, so the money goes towards fertility procedures since our insurance doesn't cover it. If we are not successful by this summer the money will go towards adoption.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
When I was in 1st grade. Every summer I would make up homework and actually do it. I also would be the "teacher" every time I played school with my cousins or neighbors.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
Currently I write for 5 different blogs and participate in any PD I can afford. I am a first grade teacher who has been teaching for 8 years, I love it!

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
It takes money to make money. Invest in quality, attractive graphics and licenses. Have someone proof any product you download to TPT and find a way to promote it through a blog. Child tested materials with photos really help sell the product.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
I was a featured author in December, I believe. I have made a really good amount of money and it's become a hobby of mine now. I really enjoy making products. It's therapeutic for me.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I am obsessed with my 3 furry babies named Olive, Java & Bentley. I enjoy spending time with my husband and family. Teaching is a 2nd career for me. I used to be an Advertising Executive for the Chicago Tribune.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
Not presently.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would like to do professional development presentations.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
       Anything labor intensive.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games). Gail Boushey and Joan Moser (Daily 5).
I just stared reading the Hunger Games after my husband talked me into it and I'm hooked.
We started a required 90 minute literacy block this year, so I decided to implement the Daily 5. It has been wonderful! Daily 5 is genius. 



Mel D 

Mel D


Mel's Prized Products

I have created over 50 games on look alike Candy Land cards. I use this during Daily 5 and Daily 5 Math. All you need is a Candy Land board and my cards! The kids LOVE it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...