Saturday, May 26, 2012

Featured Teacher: Stacy Mickelson



1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been selling my products on TpT since October 2011.  A fellow teacher invited me to check it out and it seemed like a great way to share ideas and projects with teachers all over the country. 

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I had originally wanted to get certification to own and run a summer camp for kids.  But it wasn't until I was in my sophomore year of college that I realized that I wanted to work with little people full-time, and not just over the summer.    

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I teach 2nd grade at the same building I attended as an elementary student.  It is a very small, rural school that has be awarded several times for academic excellence.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
I would recommend it to anyone to at least give it a try.  The site is growing so quickly, there are easily thousands of people searching on it every day.  You are sure to get traffic to your store.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The best part of the whole experience is knowing that there are teachers all over the country that find my materials important enough to use with their own students.  It's the ultimate collaboration: teachers working together to develop best practices.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I am absolutely terrified of snakes and spiders.  I'm not really sure why, but I think it has something to do with the way they move.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I consider myself a "perpetual student".  I completed my Master's in 2010 and just couldn't stop taking courses.  I've continued with an additional 11 courses, totaling 33 credit hours past my Master's.  I know it's crazy but I'm always looking for a great strategy that will help my students.  

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I've always been interested in the medical profession.  My favorite t.v. show in high school was "ER".  If I hadn't become a teacher, I think I may have gone into nursing.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
I would have a really hard time with being a lawyer.  I'm not much of an arguer and I really hate confrontation.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
That changes from series to series.  At the present time, I am reading the Indian in the Cupboard series to my students, so I'm liking Lynn Reid Banks.  In the past I've liked J.K Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Suzanne Collins, and Kate DiCamillo, just to name a few.

I love reading and the journeys the story takes you on.  I especially enjoy books that are part of a series.  I get to follow along with the characters as they grow and change and am always left with a sense of loss when I finish the final book. 


by Stacy Mickelson
  Stacy's TPT store



Stacy's Prized Products

This is my Prefixes Cootie Catcher.  This is one of several catchers I've created.  Students practice the different prefixes and what each means.



This is my Popsicle Subtraction Smart Board lesson.  My students were having a hard time remembering to subtract from the top down.  So I came up with this popsicle image to help remind them to "eat their popsicle from top down and to not choke on the stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...