Saturday, January 28, 2012

Featured Teacher: K. Griffin


1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I became a member of TpT in September 2011 after searching for free printable resources for my kindergarten classroom. I was instantly intrigued by the concept of teachers making extra money by sharing the work they've been doing all along :-)

2. When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
As a young girl, I loved to organize and play school with my cousins and friends. Since then, it was clear I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher.

3. How are you currently involved in education?
Currently, I am a kindergarten teacher; providing meaningful experiences, and engaging the minds of students in an "at-risk" district.


4. What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Without a doubt....Join!!!  :-)

5. What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Connecting with other professionals who share similar teaching styles and interests, and making some extra money just by sharing the work I've already created; use in my own classroom.

6. What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I love to snowboard, ride 4-wheelers, and be goofy with my family :-)

7.  Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
Outside of the classroom, I participate in curriculum mapping; reorganizing and planning the scope and sequence of lessons to coordinate with the common core standards.  Although currently taking a break to spend time with my family, I have begun working on my Ed.D.

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Aside from teaching, I would love to be an author, or become involved with research.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
Although I don't have a specific profession in mind that I would not like to do, I couldn't imagine choosing a profession that prohibits mental stimulation and spontaneity.

10.                 Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?

My favorite author is Eric Carle.  Not only are his illustrations captivating to the children, he incorporates novelty, sequencing and repetition, affiliation, and problem soloving into his stories.  Currently, my favorite educational author is Eric Jensen.  He promotes and educates his audience about brain-based learning.

by



Griffin's Prized Products

Often creating educational resources for my classroom, I am most proud of the Kindergarten Writing Rubric.  Parents often seem confused about the writing expectations in kindergarten.  This rubric clearly lists the most important, developmentally appropriate, skills teachers are looking for in completed writing samples.

Kindergarten Writing Rubric


Interested in brain-based learning, I am also proud of the slide-presentation I have created to represent Eric Jensen's learning theory. Every detail of that presentation reflects an understanding of brain-based learning; the order of slides, colors, audio and visual insertions, photos, graphic organizers, etc. I wanted to assure that I not only "presented" Eric Jensen's brain-based-learning theory, but that the viewers "experience" it.   


Eric Jensen's Learning Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...