Saturday, April 16, 2011

Featured Seller: Beth Hammett



1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been on TPT for about six months.  A friend, Lisa Frase, shared the site with me.  Upon viewing it, I knew TPT had hit upon a combination that worked for educators.  It’s a community of sharing!
  
2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
When I was a four, I wanted to go to school with the neighborhood kids, and, since then, I’ve always loved learning. I did not re-enroll in college until I was thirty, and, since helping others came naturally, I chose to teach. 

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
I am an Associate Professor of English and teach developmental college students.  I also do in-services and presentations for independent school districts, plus I write curriculum, many with emotional intelligence components.  I write monthly standardized assessment articles for a company in Arizona, and I score college entrance exams and CAHSEE essays for EST.  I work with the Greater Houston Area Writing Project, and 6 Seconds.  Finally, I write Young Adult novels on the side.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Think about your best practices in teaching.  Everyone is good at something, so find your niche, and share your favorite lesson plans and ideas with the community.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Placing value on what I do, and being able to share my work with others.

6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I am a Leonlifer, and my husband and I often follow Leon Russell to attend his concerts.  I’m a huge fan of Gregg Allman and Kid Rock, as well. 

7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I present nationally, plus work with the National Writing Project and with the Kellogg Institute for NADE.  Both are very important because they influence policy making and learning within the classrooms.  They also help train teachers in best practices. 

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Artist.  I was going to major in art, but an advisor told me there was “no money in it”, so I chose English education!

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
Paint fishing lures (I did this for year and was awful at it).

10.     Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
Gustave Flaubert because of his descriptions and portrayal of real life. 
Ralph Fletcher and Harry Noden, both are creative, have fun learning, and love sharing (they are also wonderful human beings). 

by Beth Hammett


Beth's Featured Items



An interactive PowerPoint to assist students through the processes of choosing college majors. Learn the differences between Bachelor of Arts and Sciences plus skill-based majors. Includes a link to career assessments, small/whole group critical thinking activities, extra resources, and more, in this complete lesson plan.


This free handout get students organized by using and reinforcing time management skills. The "to-do" list has two columns: Work and Play. Students use critical thinking skills to prioritize responsibilities and plan their days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...