Saturday, January 5, 2013

Featured Teacher: Jenna


What book inspired you as a student?
I loved the "Little House On The Prairie" books! Those books really helped me to become interested in reading, which led to reading becoming one of my favorite hobbies. I usually read a book a week during the school year and can read a couple of books a week during the summer.

What is something you would like to see in the future, for education?
I would like for students to have the opportunity to read for fun, or at least have more control over what they read. I know so many students these days do not want to read because they are told what they have to read and they do not get the opportunity to read genres and types of text that are interesting to them. Then they start feeling like reading is a chore that has to be done for school because they have a book they have to read for AR or for a project or one that is assigned by their teacher and they do not have the chance to read a book of their choosing. I wish that students would have more opportunities to pick books that are interesting to them so that they will want to read and find that reading can be fun and not just something you have to do for school.  

What is something fun about you that teachers don't know about you?
I love to travel. There is not anywhere that I'm not willing to go visit at least once. Here is a list of a few of the places that I've been: Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Italy, Greece, France, Spain and England.

What was your first 'Free' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you choose that?
Frog Theme Math Game Sorting Even and Odd Numbers 1-20
I chose this game because when I joined TPT, this was a game that I had just made to use in my classroom and my students really enjoyed it. This game led to the creation of a couple of other frog themed games.

What was your first 'Paid' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers? What made you choose that?        
I believe my first paid item is my  Word Families File Folder Games
I chose this one because I had made a set of word family games to go along with our frog theme that we had in the spring. I split the games up into different groups (there is also a part 2 and part 3) and decided to put them on TPT along with my frog math game freebie.

Your favorite teaching quote is...   
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose."  by Dr. Seuss
I have this quote in a frame on my teacher's desk.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” by Dr. Seuss
This quote is on the wall in my reading center.

What is your 'Go To' time filler?          
When I need to fill time, I have a container that has flash cards to different games. I recently discovered the "I have _____, who has _____" games and I love them! I also have fun/silly games in there such as rhyming games, finish the sentence, and a 20 questions game.

 by 

Jenna (Diving Into Learning)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...