Saturday, September 1, 2012

Featured Teacher: Rosshalde Pak


           1.  What is your most memorable field trip experience?

Haha, oh that's easy.  When I was a substitute teacher, I took a class of second graders to the zoo...with only 1 other chaperone...in June...in the L.A. heat.  I'm happy to report that although 2 kids decided to 'make a break for it', everyone made it back to school. :-)


         2. What is something you have learned from your time on Teachers Pay Teachers?

That it takes more time and effort to make the quality lessons that I wish I could make.  And, that there are a lot more educators looking for lessons made my teachers than I had previously thought.

         3. What book inspired you as a student?

When I was younger it was Charlotte's Web - I love animals and nature; and I was a really strong reader, and read that book in 2nd grade (rather than the recommended 4th grade) , so I liked knowing I was good at reading.  In high school, Dead Poets Society impacted me much more than Catcher in the Rye ever did.

4. What is something you would like to see in the future, for education?

Sigh, so many things.  From a passion aspect, I want more of the arts integrated and to become mandatory.  From a teaching aspect, I just want more respect -- I don't even need a higher paycheck (I mean, it would be great); but I know that school districts are hurting for money.  So, I would like to be treated with more dignity and respect from the general public.

         5. What is something fun about you that teachers don't know about you?

I love gardening, and making homemade pickles.  I give them out for the holidays. 

         6. What is an achievement, in education or otherwise, that you have accomplished?

In education, I have invented a two-time national award winning bingo game.  http://standardsrfun.com/.  In my life, I won a theatre award from the Kennedy Center of Performing Arts.  Both make me smile a lot.

         7. What was your first 'Free' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you choose that?

I think I went a little too easy on this one.  I used a set of flashcards of the Fry's 500 sight words.  I broke up the words into sets of 100 and posted it.  I'm currently working on the flashcards into a better format for more teachers.  I think it will be free too.

8. What was your first 'Paid' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers? What made you choose that?        

I'm pretty sure it was my Caterpillar Game.  Or, it would have to be some of my vocabulary quizzes.

9.  Your favorite teaching quote is...   

I actually don't think I have one...

10. What is your 'Go To' time filler?                                                                          
The Caterpillar Game - Caterpillar Word Game. It's a really versatile word game that can be used with 3rd-12th graders.  I've never not had students want to do it.   The simplest way to explain it is when you take a large word like 'Caterpillar' and see what smaller words you can make within it.  Tons of fun.            




Rosshalde Pak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...