Saturday, June 2, 2012

Featured Teacher: Mary Rosenburg



1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been on Teachers Pay Teachers since August 2010. Since, I began teaching, I have always made my own materials. I read about TpT in the CTA magazine in 2009. I was inspired by the stories of the teachers in the article, and thought, "I could have my own publishing company without the overhead!"

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I think teaching was in my blood. Both of my parents were teachers. As a young child, I remember helping my mom correct papers. I LOVED going into the local teacher supply store and could spend hours looking, touching, and examining the different teaching materials. It was when I was in college that I decided to become a teacher.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I have been teaching for 23 years. I taught first grade for 17 years and second grade for 6 years. I am always looking for new and engaging ways to spark the interest of my students--especially in this day and age of testing.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
I tell people to first visit TpT perhaps buy a few items that they can use in their classrooms. This would help them see what kinds of time and effort are being put into the quality materials found on TpT. I would also tell people to not expect to become an 'overnight success'---but to hang in there and over time, they will be rewarded for their hard work and effort.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The highlight has been seeing teachers recognized and appreciated for all of the time and energy they have put into making quality materials. Quite often, teachers are viewed as having a '8-to-3 job with 3 months off during the summer'. The public does not realize teachers work a 50 hour week during the school year and probably 20 hours a week during the "summer vacation".

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I have a wicked sense of humor that only comes out when I am with people I have known for YEARS!

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I participate in Accountable Communities with my grade level colleague. We get together about once a week to plan, discuss goals, and what areas we (or the students) need to work on. We make a great team!

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would love to be a children's author. I have a lot of ideas that I need to put on paper.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
I would not want to do any profession that is not creative. As teachers, we work with not only our minds, but our hearts.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
My current favorite author is Vince Flynn. I love how the main character (Mitch Rapp) always gets the bad guy--no matter what!

My school is currently involved in Safe and Civil Schools  and Champs training. I like how Randy Sprick takes difficult classroom situations and makes them manageable with a few easy tricks. He is great at classroom management!


By Mary Rosenburg



Mary's Prized Products

I am most proud of my Daily Language Checks. Each packet of Daily Language Checks has unique passages that the students can relate to as well as five questions (one for each cluster on the CST) about the passage.



The CST (California Standardized Test) lesson plan for 2nd grade is a fabulous way to keep track of the high-point standards tested on the CST.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...