Saturday, June 23, 2012

Featured Teacher: Felicia Barnick


1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
        I have been on TPT for about 2 years. I came across the site and saw all the neat ideas, and a few just like the one I had come up with (great minds think alike). I love sharing with my team, and thought this would be a great place to share with others.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I actually went to college for graphic design. After working for about 5 years in a field that I loved as a hobby, but now always found myself stuck at all hours often night behind my cubical, decided I needed a change. Everyone kept telling me that they couldn't believe how easily I connected with children, and came up with creative concepts to play, make, and do......therefore "wallah" the teacher in me was born.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I am a third grade teacher in Georgia. I have been teaching for 13 years now (all at the same school). I have taught 4th, 2nd, and 3rd grade.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
I was always told as a child, "There are no stupid questions." This pertains to daily life and teaching too! You might have the same ideas as someone else, and by selling your items on Teachers Pay Teachers you provide someone with "assistance" in portraying their idea too. You never know you might have an idea on the tip of your tongue, and while searching for a lesson idea on Teachers Pay Teachers you find one that peaks your interest, is perfect for your class, and was just the right idea you were looking for. I say go for it...what do you have to lose. Teachers spend a lot of man hours creating the perfect lessons for their classroom - so why not share them with the world and get paid while you do it.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Teachers differ greatly in the way they plan their lessons, using personalized formats and incorporating specific lesson components. Teachers Pay Teachers gives you the opportunity to share your thoughts, ideas, and personalized lessons. It gives others a ways to see a great ideas, use it, and pass the word along for others to log-in and purchase your items. Before we could only share with the teachers on our hall or in our school. Now we can share with other teachers from all over the world, and in return get great ideas to incorporate into our daily lessons within our own classroom. Love it! I check the update ever night - I'm addicted!

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I love to be a practical joker. I take my job and students very seriously....but where and when time allows - watch out. I can draw just about anything (cartoon style), and love to have fun through art. If you were a fly on the wall in my classroom you would see this everyday! Part of learning is using the creativity we have inside.
I also secretly love to stalk blogs and websites to find DIY projects I can make. I just recently made a chair out of a suitcase.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
Our school participates in enrichment after school "club" programs, that are fun, hands on, and creative. Each teacher submits their ideas to our admin for their club and if approved may teach it for a 6 week term. So far this year I have taught a digital animation class, put on a school play with (100 students for k to 5) raising money to fix up our playground, and have now found myself teaching students how to make and manipulate puppets. I love doing these classes and I am love student-centered learning. These classes give me many opportunities to create lessons, which engage students and put the bulk of the thinking and learning in their laps.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Race car driver - speed, excitement, adrenaline - enough said.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
Anything that involves wearing a suit and not getting your hands dirty. I never come home looking the same way I left. Making a mess is one of the best ways to learn.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
Children's Books: Roald Dahl; love his whimsical characters, settings, problems, and solutions. What a great example to set, and use to help students write creatively. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an All Time Favorite.

Educational Author -  Dinah Zike: Gotta love foldables.



Felicia Barnick, aka Spunky Sprogs
Felicia's TPT store



Felicia's Prized Products


Posters to help students understand the different genres: Non-Fiction, Realistic Fiction, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Folk-Tale, Poetry, Drama, Autobiography, Biography, Nursery Rhyme, Tall Tales, and Mystery.




What a fun way to give out an award. My students LOVE candy, and since I don't give it our very often...this makes for a fun end of the year treat! I attach the actual candy bar to the award, and then when all the awards have been passed out the students are allowed to eat their award!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...