Friday, April 27, 2012

Featured Teacher Author: Michelle Oakes

1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I've been on Teachers pay Teachers for just over a year.  I began in January of 2011. Deanna Jump was my inspiration.  We both had websites long before blogs and I loved her site. I saw she had a few things for sale on Teachers pay Teachers and decided I'd try it out as well.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I knew in first grade. My first grade teacher Mrs. Klein was the sweetest teacher ever. I wanted to be just like her. Ironically...I student taught in first grade and am currently a first grade teacher.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I have been a teacher for 11 years. I've taught first grade all 11 years. It's the best!

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?

Join! I joined hoping to make a few extra dollars a month. Instead, in just one year I was able to hit a Teachers pay Teachers seller's milestone. I had no idea that Teacher pay Teachers would be such a blessing.  I've been able to provide so much more for my family. In addition, I've become great friends with many of the teacher sellers.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The friends that I've made! Through giveaways, blogging and creating I also feel that I've become a much better teacher.  You are always striving to create fun and engaging activities.


6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
My family has NEVER called me Michelle.  I've been Shelley or Shell all of my life. 
I started going by my given name in High School.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
" have a blog for teachers as well as a website.


8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Party/Event Planning. I love to plan parties and create fun party decor.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
I could never be a lawyer. I'm not good at arguing. 

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I love Nicholas Sparks. Gotta love romance. I also love everything by Debbie Miller. She's AMAZING! Her take on kiddos and comprehension is great. Plus she is an easy read.


Michelle Oakes
 Michelle's TPT Store


Michelle's Prized Products

I'm especially proud of my Reader's Workshop Graphic Organizers. They hit all of comprehension strategies discussed in Debbie Miller's books. I haven't seen anything like them on Teachers pay Teachers and they are my best seller.



I also love my Super Sight Word Pack.  It's an entire year full of sight word work, assessments and activities. I worked very hard to create a pack that a teacher could open and use, without have to create anything for the whole school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...