Saturday, April 7, 2012

Featured Teacher Author: Kayla, Primary Junction

1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I joined Teachers Pay Teachers in September 2011 after coming across several teacher blogs that mentioned it.  I was very interested in the concept and wanted to try it myself. I thought I had several units and lesson ideas I could offer, so I joined and have loved every minute of it! Not only it is very motivating and inspiring as a teacher to create unique lessons, it is also a wonderful way to meet and learn from talented teachers.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I think there was always an inkling that I may have a career in education.  As far back as I can remember I have loved learning and school.  As a child, I loved to "play school", create lessons, check papers, visit school supply stores, etc. I finally decided to become a teacher after completing two semesters worth of internships in K-2 classrooms during my senior year of high school.  I absolutely loved working with children, but the moments that truly led me to teaching were when those light bulbs went off or when a child would thank me for helping them. After graduating from high school, I went on to graduate with a Bachelor's in Elementary Education and a concentration/minor in Sociology.

3.      How are you currently involved in education?
I currently teach second grade, and this is my fourth year in education.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Do it! I have grown so much as a teacher as a result of Teachers Pay Teachers.  Not only has it inspired me to be even more creative when creating lessons and units, I have also learned so much about teaching as a result of other sellers and their products. That alone is worth it!  I haven't been selling for long, but I am beginning to see some results. As other sellers have shared, build a following through a blog and social networks (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter) and give away items. You will build a following and success will come.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
I think the best highlight is that it has reinvigorated my love for teaching.  I have learned so much about being a teacher from other sellers, and being a seller has not only sparked my creative teaching, but it has helped me become a better planner and not procrastinate as much (which I'm really bad at). Being a seller is awesome because I love being able to help other teachers with their plans so they can have more free time.  I love receiving feedback that a product of mine has helped in some way.  As teachers, we often don't get a lot of notice or feedback about what we are doing in the classroom, so it's always nice to hear that other teachers appreciate our work.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I LOVE to travel. Put me on a plane, and I'll go anywhere! ;-) I've also been lucky and fortunate to meet some well-known folks (I'm from the South by the way if you can't tell!) such as Dolly Parton, Ray Stevens, Jay Leno, Marie Osmond, Miley Cyrus (Yes, I am an awesome teacher when my kiddos find this out.), and more.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am on the technology committee at my school where I help with technology issues, school newscast, grants, order supplies, and whatever else is technology-related! At home, I plan and create lessons and read to learn new ideas to use the in the classroom.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I am extremely passionate about traditional country music, so it would be a dream to do anything related to the music business industry and by business I mean business - I am not talented in any way! I'd want a behind-the-scenes job. I also love to travel and am extremely interested in different countries.  I think majoring in International Relations would have been fun. Maybe in another life!


9.     What profession would you not like to do?
Anything dirty! I wouldn't want to work in plumbing, wastelands, or anything that requires getting messy. I prefer being able to dress-up and wear high heels!

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
My favorite author is Robert Munsch! I loved his books as a child and love to share them with my students.  His books are hilarious and feature repetitive, predictable text so students can join in while reading.  I also love the Scaredy Squirrel series by Melanie Watts because they offer such wonderful discussion opportunities with my students. As for my favorite educational author, I really liked 'Black Ants and Buddhists' by Mary Cowhey, which is a fast, fun, and educational read for elementary Social Studies teachers.  It really changed the way I taught Social Studies.




Kayla (Primary Junction) Primary Junction's TPT store


Primary Junction's Prized Products

I am extremely proud of my Measurement Unit: Length and Area. I created it several years ago and use it every year with my students.  It is one of my favorite units to teach. It contains 108 pages of resources, step-by-step lessons, and over 10 interactive files for both the SMART Board and Activ Board. 


Measurement Unit: Length and Area



I am also proud of my Flat Stanley Project Guide, which is another unit I use with my students every year. It includes everything a teacher needs to do the mailing project with their class. 


Flat Stanley Project Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...