Saturday, April 21, 2012

Featured Teacher Author: Donna Boucher, Math Coach's Corner

1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I opened my store in December after years of people telling me that I should sell my stuff.  What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy the social aspect of blogging, Facebook, and just connecting with other teachers.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
In high school, actually.  I originally wanted to be a home economics teacher, but changed my major to business early in my college career.  After 7 years in the business world, I found my way back to teaching by way of Junior Achievement. 

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I am a math instructional coach for an elementary campus.  I work with teachers in grades K-5, and I love it!  I'm in classrooms throughout the week, provide professional development for teachers, write common assessments, help teachers plan, and generally look for ways to improve mathematics instruction in our building.


4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Learn from the masters!  Do your research before you get your store going.  I look at the products I'm creating now, and they are so much better than even 2 months ago.  You have to develop your own style, and marketing is a BIG part of being successful!  Dont' get discouraged when you read about the newest $20,000 sellers...you'll get there!

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
I just love getting the emails that tell me I sold a product!  It feels validating to know that others feel your work is of good enough quality to pay for it.  But I also love seeing just how many people have downloaded my free products.  It's very cool to know that I'm impacting students and teachers across the country.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I never, ever thought I'd be teaching math!!  I was desperate for a job, and they offered me 3rd grade math and science.  I was smiling as I accepted, but inside I was thinking, "Math and Science???".  It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me!

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am a mentor through our district, so I get to stay in touch with students I have taught.  It's a neat thing to be able to follow them throughout their educational career.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I'd secretly like to be a chef.  The Food Network is my other passion!

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
I would NOT like to be a salesman.  Ha ha.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I'm really into Harlan Coben right now.  I tend to find an author I like and then read my ways through their books.  No particular favorite educational author.  I will read anything that I think will help me be a better math teacher.



Donna Boucher/Math Coach's Corner 


Math Coach's Corner's TPT store




Math Coach's Corner's Prized Products


My doubles unit, Seeing Double, ran in the newsletter, and it's my top seller.  It's such a complete product, and I think it really shows my commitment to the CRA (concrete, representation, abstract) sequence of instruction.  


Doubles Unit



I am also really proud of Out of This World! Exploring Numbers to 100.  It's so versatile, and the alien cards are adorable!  The 16 different workstation activities can be used with numbers to 20, then 50, and finally 100. 

 Exploring Numbers to 100

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...