Saturday, October 29, 2011

Featured Teacher: Kim Collingwood

1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been a part of Teachers Pay Teachers for 6 months.  I decided to become a part of it when I started downloading the free lessons in the newsletter.  They were wonderful.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I went to school to be a geologist but I had my first child and had to put off getting my masters for awhile so I went back to school and got my teaching certificate instead.  I was about 27 when I did this.  I am glad I did.

3. How are you currently involved in education?
I am a 6th and 7th grade science teacher and a 7th grade reading teacher.  I am also part of a group at my district which promotes science.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
 I would say that patience pays off.  Don't think people will find you right away.  You will have to create amazing products and wait.  People rarely do well for themselves overnight.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Really the community has been wonderful.  They are generous with advice and praise.  I really look forward to reading posts on the forum.  I also was amazed that my products actually sold and people liked them.  You never know when you put your work out there if people will find it as useful as you do.

6. What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I am a real Lord of the Rings fan. I love the characters in the book and also how they were portrayed in the movie.  I am looking forward to The Hobbit which will come out in 2012.



7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I tutor reading to dyslexic students outside of the classroom.  My daughter is severely dyslexic and I started with her and kind of branched out to others that can't crack the code of reading.

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would really like to be a paleontologist.  I majored in geology to learn all about past life but didn't go as far as becoming a paleontologist.  I don't know if I would stick with vertebrates or invertebrates, however.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I don't think I could be a person in the medical field.  I could deal with the schooling but I don't know if I could deal with sick people too well.

10.                 Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
My favorite author is J.R.R Tolkien of course.  Being a geologist at heart I really loved the maps that went with the journey.  An author I have used in the classroom this year is Suzanne Collins who wrote The Hunger Games.  Her books are will motivate even your least bookish kid.



by

Kimberly Collingwood (Science Etc.) Science Etc.'s Teachers Pay Teachers Store


I really had a hard time teaching lunar phases with flash cards because my students would cut them apart and then the phases would be completely messed up and not with the name of the phase at all.  I devised a system for lunar flash cards that has a symbol that matches the phase with a description so they don't get disorganized.  The phases were taken with my telescope.




Probably the other is my Mars Rover Project.  I created it to keep my students motivated at the end of school last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...