Saturday, October 22, 2011

Featured Teacher: Addie Williams




1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I joined about a year and a half ago after stumbling upon them during a Google search.  I saw some great ideas and thought I would throw some of mine in and see how they did.  I was so thrilled when I had my first sale within a few days... I'be been hooked ever since.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I've always had jobs in education as a National Park Ranger, aquarium naturalist, interpreter at a historical site, and as a naturalist on a cruise ship. However, I'd never thought about teaching until I went for a hike with a friend and spent the entire time talking her ear off about the volcanoes and glaciers in the area!  It was like I was struck by a bolt of lightening and I suddenly realized I wanted to be a teacher! I registered for "Teacher School" the following morning at the ripe old age of 29, and began teaching in the classroom at 30.  I've loved it ever since!

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
Currently I split my time in a high-school as teacher-librarian and as a Science teacher.  I love wearing two hats and getting to know students through the classroom and through books. I'm unique in that I've spent many years teaching English, Social Studies, and Science and I love the combination of the three.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Just take the plunge and do it!  However, I'd spend some time really making your products look spiffy - a cover page, list of what's included and some great graphics go a long way.  I'd also suggest reading through the Seller's Forum to see the great suggestions and awesome support that people give one another.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Watching my sales steadily climb.  Reaching little milestones I've set for my self along the way has also been fun.  I still get excited with every "Product Sold" e-mail that comes my way.



6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I love to be outside in the great outdoors - hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, snowboarding and gardening. I also love to travel and will take any opportunity I get to hit the open road or fly the friendly skies!



7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am involved in the Geological Association of Canada and often present a workshop for Science / Geography teachers as part of EdGeo.  I also often present around the subject of Geography / Earth Science at a large provincial conference.



8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Hmm... tough question!  I'd love to be a tour guide and travel the world sharing it with others.  Kind of like being a "traveling teacher", I guess.



9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I wouldn't like a job where I didn't get to interact with other people.  Sitting in an office in a cubicle in front of a computer holds little appeal to me.



10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
YA Authors - Patrick Ness, Gordon Korman, Suzanne Collins, Sarah Dessen, Ellen Hopkins, some of Jodie Piccoult's...
For me - Elin Hilderbrand, Jodie Piccoult, Marian Keyes, Catherine Alliot, Ann Patchet, Barbara Kingsolver
Educational - Barry MacDonald's ""Mentoring for Boys"" was great!  I try to stay current by reading online, watching TED Talks (esp. Ken Robinson!)




by




Addie's Pick Products


I love the Middle Ages and I think the students do as well... there's so much neat stuff to talk about and share with them.  Here's a package of 5 fun and engaging assignments / projects for students who are studying the Middle Ages.



On the flip side, I also teach English and I know that writing can be a challenge for many students.  I've just recently added this package of writing organizers and templates to help students with the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...