Saturday, October 1, 2011

Featured Teacher: Heather Richards



1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have just reached my One-year Anniversary. I was introduced to it by Laura Candler and decided to give it a try! Glad I did!

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
After a few years of randomly going through college, I finally decided that it was time to stop messing around and get into what I have always had a passion for: kids and teaching.

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
I am on my 6th year of teaching 5th grade at a Magnet Elementary School in West Texas.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
My advice would be to definitely give it a try! There is a wealth of people who are willing to help you along the way and so many wonderful teachers to learn from. You need to get involved, talk in the forums, blog, give free materials and information, get to know people and put yourself out there so others can get to know you!

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
A highlight to me has been becoming close to a number of teachers who sell there. I have created mentoring friendships with teachers who have tons of experience, so willing to help and I have been incredibly inspired by so many of the individuals I have gotten to know.

6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I am currently writing a children's book, I love to paint and do charcoal drawings. One summer I blew up our gas bill because I wanted to make clay sculpture in our oven to sell on Etsy…
 I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old who keep me busy until their eyes close at night!

7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am the AVID coordinator for our school and so I have been blessed to go to different places to learn and then share with my school. I have been sent to Dallas as well as San Diego.

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would like to be a children's author or an artist.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I would not want to be a janitor, a chef (love to eat but not to cook! lol), or a gardener (I have a brown thumb unfortunately :(

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I love Charlaine Harris (The Sookie Stackhouse books) and I LOVE Brandon Mull's Fablehaven Series. Both contain amazing creativity, keep you engaged from the beginning, and get my imagination running wild!

By Heather Richards - Truth Me


Truth Me's Teachers Pay Teachers Store


Truth Me's Favorite Items


My reading skills power point: I love using this in class. The kids can engage and write on the smartboard, earn points, and they are open-ended so students must use their brains to create the answers instead of just guessing on multiple-choice.



What started it all was my "What's the Truth George" Podcast Packages. These are history-based and technology-driven. Using podcasts and internet research, students learn about important times in history. 


American History Podcast Package

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...