Saturday, September 10, 2011

Featured Teacher Author: Michele Luck

Featured Teacher-Author


1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I stumbled onto Tpt back in 2008.  I can't even remember how I found it, but I have been a seller, and loving it, ever since!

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I didn't acknowledge that I wanted to BE a teacher until I tried a few other things in adulthood and realized that all along, I was teaching.  In reality, I have been a teacher since about age 2.  I would line my dolls up around the room and play "school" for hours while they "HAD TO" listen!

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
I am currently teaching high school level World Civilizations and Geography.  I have taught all areas in the Social Studies Department from grades 6-12 and English grades 9-12.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Just do it!  If nothing else, it is a great opportunity to collaborate with other teachers that are excited about what they do.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The highlight has to be talking with the other teachers in the forum and on the blogs.  The great ideas and inspirational stories keep me excited about what we do!

6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I LOVE to dance!  If you ever drive by the house while my shades are up, you will find me leaping and strutting across the living room to my good ole 80s music!

7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am everywhere I can be that involves either Social Studies or Education.  I attend and present at conferences on a variety of topics, I participate on online forums and trainings whenever they are available, and I have worked with my local universities to motivate and encourage student and new teachers.  I have also written one book for new teachers, and I am working on another for the parents!

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would love to work at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum AFTER they push me out of my high school classroom!  I just love the teaching experience every day, but I would also love the opportunity to teach people about the Holocaust and what can be done to teach the next generation to do better.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I am one that will try anything once, BUT... I am also a control freak, so anything involving jumping out of planes or off buildings would be out of the question.

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, but I do not really have a favorite author.  I jump around quite a bit in my reading from genre to genre, so I am always finding something new I love. 
My favorite educational author is Dr. Angene Wilson.  She is also my mentor and was my professor many years ago.  She writes for the Peace Corp (and other education magazines), and her articles always remind me why I am here and why I step into my classroom each day.


By Michele Luck
Michele's Favorite Products
My most enjoyable classes are the ones where my students are "traveling" around my room and investigating different places or times.  In the Renaissance Tour of Florence Activity, they get to explore the city as it is becoming the Renaissance center.  I love it!

Renaissance Walking Tour Activity



In my U.S. History classes, I have always loved it when my students take on the roles of average people from the past.  In my Immigration activity, they read from role cards and stand in front of great images of the times.  It is always very engaging in my classroom.

Immigration and New Immigrant Activity





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...