Saturday, October 27, 2012

Featured Teacher: Jessica C



1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been on Teachers Pay Teachers for a little over a year. I decided to become part of Teachers Pay Teachers when several of my peers gushed over items I had made to use in my classes. I stumbled upon it when looking for some creative ideas for teaching The Hunger Games (special thanks to Tracee Orman for her amazing unit).

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
This will probably sound cliché, but I have always wanted to be a teacher. I always pretended to play school with my dolls. My passion for education was ignited further, however, when I traveled to China to teach English during college.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I am currently a first year teacher teaching at an international school in China. I will be here for two years. All of my students are ELL's who are taught in full immersion for the entire school day. It is a little daunting at times, but I love my students.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
For anyone who is considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers I would say to go for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Including a good community and probably a little extra money in your pocket.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The highlight thus far has been the encouragement I have to do my best for my students. I see so many wonderful ideas that I am truly inspired to be the best educator I can be.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I was in dance and drama all through high-school and college. Sometimes when I hear good music I can't help but to bust a move. You can find me dancing down the grocery aisle and with a broom while "cleaning" my apartment.

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am a collaborator with an education forum in China. China has certain internet restrictions so we have to email all of our comments and questions. That is a bit of a challenge. I also coach the dance team and drama guild at our school.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
That is a tough question. I would probably be a travel reporter like Samantha Brown on Great Hotels. I would love to have the means to travel the globe, and to actually get paid for it would be amazing.

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
A principal, because you have so many things to think about. I would not like to have that role. I enjoy my classroom way too much!

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
Wow! I have a list, but if I had to say one I would probably choose Suzanne Collins or Allie Condie. I am in love with dystopian fiction at the moment. My favorite educational authors are Tracee Orman, Angela Watson and Erin Gruwell. These women simply inspire me through their books and lesson plans.


by
Jessi C


Jessi's Prized Products

Coke or Sprite Inference and Critical Thinking

This product was created for an EFL class. It introduces students to critical thinking, strategy, predictions and/or making an inference. Students play a game and try to create a strategy, persuade other players and make predictions. This could be used as an intro to teaching students how to make an inference when reading.


Living Things Lapbook

12 foldables to use with a unit on the diversity of living things. We used this product in my Life Science class as a culminating project at the end of our unit. The students loved creating their lap-books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...