Saturday, August 25, 2012

Featured Teacher: Laurah Jurca




            1. What is your most memorable field trip experience?

I've always worked in Title 1 schools since I started teaching, so in four years I've only been on one field trip, so I guess it wins by default! The ESOL staff took our 3rd-5th grade ESOL students to the Newseum here in DC.

         2. What is something you have learned from your time on Teachers Pay Teachers?

This is really difficult, because I've learned so much, that picking one thing is difficult. I guess it would be the importance of collaboration, even digitally. I've "met" and "talked" to so many great teachers that I would not have met in "real life", been exposed to some amazing energy, ideas and creativity, and that hs inspired me to do more and be more for my own students.


         3. What book inspired you as a student?

I read so many that I can't really say there is one particular book that inspired me. I collected and read as many books as I could get my parents to buy me!


4. What is something you would like to see in the future, for education?

This may be a "duh", but I would like to see the standardized testing scrapped. I think we need to go back to the basics when it comes to education, and put educators in positions to make educational policy, rather than politicians. Only then will education in our country start to change.

         5. What is something fun about you that teachers don't know about you?

None of the teachers at my school know that I do historical reenactment. To be specific, my hubby and I participate in reenacting Iron-Age Celts.


         6. What is an achievement, in education or otherwise, that you have accomplished?

Completing my Master of Science degree by age 22! (Go Vols!)

Also, I'm only in my fourth year of teaching, but I have been invited to S. Korea twice to help conduct teacher trainings for Korean public school teachers on Content Based English Instruction.


         7. What was your first 'Free' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you choose that?

My first freebie was the 3-2-1 Strategy Guide. I chose that because I think it is an excellent strategy to help students focus on what they are reading.


8. What was your first 'Paid' item that you posted up on Teachers Pay Teachers? What made you choose that?        

My first paid product was my "Get to know your dictionary" PowerPoint presentation. I chose that because so many teachers need good resources for dictionary skills. For my ELLs, dictionary skills is especially important, and can be confusing, so I created a very clear PowerPoint with lots of practice. I thought other teachers might appreciate it.


9.  Your favorite teaching quote is...   

A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.  ~Horace Mann


10. What is your 'Go To' time filler?                                                                          
I never have extra time to fill in class. I teach ESOL, and I already don't get to see them often enough, so every minute we're together is crammed with language learning & practice.              




By Laurah Jurca



Laurah's Prized Products




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...