Saturday, November 19, 2011

Featured Teacher: Charlene Tess

1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been with Teachers Pay Teachers from almost the very beginning in July of 2006. I had published an ebook, Simple Steps to Sentence Sense, that I was selling from my website. When I discovered TpT, I realized I had many units and materials that might benefit other teachers, so I joined and began selling those products also.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
My grandmother and my mother were both teachers. I grew up in a family that values education. In college, I became a substitute teacher to earn money for tuition, and after my first day in the classrooom, I was hooked. I changed my major to education, and never looked back. I taught in public schools for 34 years, and have worked as an educational consultant and as a creative writing teacher for adult education classes.


3. How are you currently involved in education?
I teach creative writing classes to adults, write educational materials, and write an educational blog.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
It is a wonderful place to share materials that have been successful in your classrooms, and it is a great place to meet and converse with other teachers. I would advise anyone to join and participate.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
I have enjoyed getting to know other teachers who sell materials on TpT, and I have enjoyed corresponding with people who have purchased my products.

6. What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I write romance novels, and general fiction as well as nonfiction grammar workbooks.

7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am an educational consultant.

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I am happy with the professions I have chosen.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I would not enjoy a profession that required mathematical skills.

10.                 Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
James Lee Burke is one of the most gifted authors I have ever read. His use of imagery and his strong, realistic characters are as well drawn as many of those in the literature books being taught in classrooms today.


Richard Lederer is my favorite educational author. He is witty and wise and I learn something every time I read him.


Charlene Tess 
Charlene's TPT Store


Charlene's Prized Products

I am most proud of my Simple Steps to Sentence Sense books that have been used in classrooms since 1996. I developed a method of teaching grammar and sentence structure in the early '60's. It works. My students and teachers who have used my books agree, that learning grammar this way makes it easy and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...