Sunday, March 20, 2011

Featured Seller: Jer



1  How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been a part of TPT since May 2009.  I had been looking for lessons on-line, with a general Google search, and I kept getting directed to TPT.  I bought a power point on the French Revolution and was impressed with the product.  Then I bought a vocabulary power point and knew that I could do a better job than that.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
Since 6th grade; I was chosen to be a safety for the kindergarteners on the school bus and loved the chance to help other students.  My favorite summer activity was always playing “school” with my younger sisters and their friends.  In high school I tutored on a volunteer basis for the fun and love of education.

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
Currently I am a classroom teacher for 9-12 grades in French I – IV.  I began and moderate a Modern Language Honor Society at our school to foster continued study and appreciation of the languages and their associated cultures.  I also moderate an active French Club and take students to France every other year during spring break.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
It is well worth the premium membership fee; mine paid for itself in just the first month that I joined.  You are doing the work anyways for your classes, so you may as well put a bit more effort in to have it look nice and neat so that you can list it and have it sell well.  Other teachers are doing the same units that you are!

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
It has made me focus on what works well.  It has strengthened the creative side of me.  I try to have more of a variety of activities for each topic so that I always have a choice based on how well the students understand, how cooperative they are being and how old or new the topic is. 

6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I love to sew and create unique outfits, accessories and home furnishings. 

7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
Not at the present time.  I have done many different things over the years, but right now I am concentrating on my classes (I am developing a foreign language program for lower level students) and on creating products for TPT.

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
None; education is where my passion is.  Although, I was a seamstress for 12 years while I stayed at home and raised my children.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
Politician; their life is under a microscope and they are frequently under attack by those who disagree.

10.   Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
John Grisham; I like the intricacy of his stories and I like to try to figure things out before the end of the book.  I also like not having to remember anything about the book except that it was an interesting story. 
Harry Wong; he has some great ideas on how students learn best.
Jer's Featured Items:
 - I like my “Inspecteur / Inspector” activities.  They give students a chance to get out of their seats, move around, talk to friends and STILL be doing classwork.  Students read a question out loud, working on reading and speaking skills; they listen and understand what they hear; they read and find the appropriate response.  They are a great activity that uses many skills.

- My 4 by 4 activities; students work in small groups and arrange 16 index cards in a 4 x 4 grid.  All adjacent sides must match.  My 4 by 4 with passé composé is great for reviewing all 4 groups of verbs (regular, irregular past participles, être verbs & reflexive verbs).  “Nous nous sommes” requires a reflexive verb that has agreement for masculine plural; “sorti” requires a masculine singular subject with être.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...