Saturday, December 17, 2011

Featured Teacher: Mary Bauer


1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I signed up about a year ago, but I didn't start posting any products until April.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I tried not to be a teacher until the end of my freshman year of college.  My parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles were all teachers at some point in their lives.  I wanted to do something else.  I was volunteered to work as a camp counselor and I discovered through that experience that I was born a teacher.  I decided not to fight it anymore.  That was 27 years ago.

3. How are you currently involved in education?
I am teaching a fifth and sixth grade split class in a public school north of Seattle, Washington.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Get involved in the forums.  There are so many people who are willing to help out.



5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
I have enjoyed sharing ideas with amazing teachers who are as dedicated to their students as I am to mine.  I wish I could visit their classrooms and have them visit mine.




6. What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I was once on a locally televised spelling bee.



7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I volunteer in my church's children's ministry.



8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I want to be a freelance writer.  I have had a few things published, but I would like to be published more consistently.



9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I would make a lousy waitress.  For some reason my ability to keep track of competing needs in the classroom doesn't transfer well to food service.



10.                 Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
My favorite educational author is Aimee Buckner.  I love her book Notebook Know-How.  I have read it several times through and use her lessons in my class.

My other favorite author is Rick Riordan.  I could read aloud and teach from his books for so many subjects.  What I have appreciated about him the most is how he treats his readers during author visits and book signings.  He had hundreds of fans lined up and he took time with each one to answer a question.



by



Mary's Prized Products

My favorite unit to teach is Writing Plays with Intermediate Students.  I have just started getting this year's students prepared to write, direct and perform their own plays.  There are all sorts of Language Arts standards that I teach through this unit.


I also enjoy the unit Playing with Words.  I find having students write these syllabic poems builds their vocabulary and their stamina to write longer pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...