Saturday, March 17, 2012

featured teacher author: Jennifer DeBrosse

Featured Teacher Author


1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I joined in the fall of 2011 as a MAJOR buyer :) and as a seller Thanksgiving 2011.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I can't even remember...maybe age 5 or 6? I taught piano and early childhood music for 15 years before becoming a Special Educator.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I'm a Special Educator with KIPP (national charter school network) in Baltimore City. I teach at a school that currently serves K-2nd grade.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Just do it! As long as you are always keeping your own students first and foremost in your mind, you can't go wrong!

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
The forum is definitely a highlight - everyone is friendly and so helpful! I also greatly value the positive feedback I've received on my products. It's so rewarding to know my products may be helping a child learn!

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
Hmmm...not sure if it's fun or not, but I'm a fitness fanatic. I go to the gym every day before work & try to incorporate music and movement into my teaching as much as possible!

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
At this time, I do not. KIPP keeps me very busy with an extended day and year program, as well as fantastic professional development opportunities.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Law - I'm FASCINATED by law, specifically concerning Special Education. I also love, love, love Educational Psychology. I would also love to be a certified fitness trainer!

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
Any typical "desk job." My friends sometimes complain about their jobs and I'm thinking...no one was throwing a tantrum, you were allowed to use the bathroom at will, AND you had a lunch break??? I think I'd be very bored!

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I don't have a favorite author - I will read ANYTHING! I'll have to think about a favorite educational author...because of the nature of my job, I don't often do read-alouds with my students. I would love any author my own students love because I'd be SO excited they were enjoying reading!


by Positively Learning 
(Jennifer DeBrosse)
Positively Learning's TPT store




Positively Learning's Prized Products

I'm very proud of my Speedy Sight Words Fluency Builder! I brainstormed with a general educator about the idea of creating a resource binder for students to keep in their seat sacks to use during any available "free" time (i.e.: D.E.A.R. time). It's been wonderful for my students to use when I am not there because it moves at the pace of the students' own learning. Fluency with sight words is KEY to my students' growth in reading.

I also use my Super Sentence Builders unit often in the classroom. I designed this activity pack (and there are additional themed Sentence Builder units available) for my students to use during writing time, specifically time designated for journal writing. My students often require more assistance and this activity pack provides that. Students use vocabulary words and models to (re)create sentences while gaining experience with writing mechanics, including spacing and sentence structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...