Saturday, June 11, 2011

Featured Seller: Terry-Lynn McLeod

1.   How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I have been a part of TpT since December 2010, though I knew of the site for some months before that. I decided to become a part of TpT because I currently do not have a classroom but still wanted to be a part of education. Also, I thought the whole concept of TpT an interesting one.

2.   When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I didn’t know that I wanted to be in education until the third year into my Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology. My sister is in education so it is a natural progression for me. I thought that I would be able to use the knowledge from my psychology degree within education. Ironically, education is the last thing my Mother wanted for me because she has an extreme dislike for most teachers. (She has managed to experience every form of “bad teacher” within education which is the basis of her opinion.) However, Mum has mellowed in her opinion of teachers.

3.   How are you currently involved in education?
Though I currently do not have a classroom, I try to be involved in education. I am currently being trained in Balanced Literacy (Division II/III). Also, I write (albeit sporadically) for my education blog “The Canuck Teacher’s Ramblings”.

4.   What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
I would tell other people that it is worthwhile joining TpT so just do it. Establish realistic goals for oneself and don’t compare yourself to others.

5.   What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
A highlight has been being in the newsletter. I receive the newsletter on Monday. So I didn’t know that I was in the newsletter, until my phone kept beeping to notify me of “product sold” emails. Though I didn’t break any records, it was still a very satisfying moment.

6.   What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
Now don’t be totally weirded out - But I have the best sleepwear ever. It is a pair of girly pink Oscar the Grouch Pajamas. I NEVER wear pink so no one in my family can understand why I love them so much. I wear them because Oscar the Grouch is my favourite Sesame Street character. He made my childhood bearable. (I never liked Big Bird)



7.   Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
Right now I don't have a lot of extra time to reach out.  But once I do, I want to find creative ways to get involved in education.

8.   What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I always wondered how it would be like to be a working actor or to be involved someway in drama professionally.

9.   What profession would you not like to do?
I would never want to be a retail salesperson. I worked in a clothing store once and it was pure Hell. And I was Satan!! The job definitely did not bring out the best in me.



10.                Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I don’t have a favourite personal author because I tend to read anything (except romances). Right now, I’m reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I just love the characters and the modern Scandinavian landscape. But I usually read historical mysteries from authors such as Ellis Peters and Charles Todd. And I also don’t have a favourite education author. I believe anything a student enjoys is worthy material to teach. And there are numerous children and adolescent authors which produce quality literary works to mention just one. But if I have to, I’ll steal from the previous featured seller and say Shakespeare.

Terry's Favourite Products


I am really proud of this resource because all aspects of balanced literacy are covered. There are 45 activities within the balanced literacy categories of vocabulary, summarizing, connecting, questioning, inferring and synthesizing. These activities are meant to develop students’ upper level critiquing and analyzing skills during a novel study. The graphic organizers can also be used in book clubs and independent reading.

         I like this lesson plan because it encourages students to engage in social action. Students brainstorm an issue relevant to them and develop a possible answer to that issue. Then they collect signatures and create a petition written in business letter format.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...