Saturday, July 9, 2011

Featured Seller: Scipi

1. How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers? What made you decide to be a part of it?
I joined in March of 2009. My best friend, (we do workshops together), suggested I sell items there. Since our products are always a “hit” at the workshops we do, I figured maybe others would like them as well.

2. When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
I wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a little girl. I played teacher and all the neighborhood kids plus my unwilling brother were my reluctant students.

3. How are you currently involved in education?
I retired from Wichita Public Schools as a math resource teacher, and I currently teach remedial math at Butler Community College where most of my students are “mathphobics.”

4. What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?
Teachers Pay Teachers is a great site to connect with other teachers as well as a place to sell items you have created for your classroom. The items are quality teacher created products that can be used immediately in the classroom, and most are reasonably priced!

5. What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Okay, it should be the selling or making extra money, right? But believe it or not, it was finding out how young and good looking our boss, Paul Edelman, is. Now I won’t be fooled if he appears on the T.V. program, Undercover Boss!

6. What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I guess what is unusual or fun about me is that my husband asked me to marry him on our first date. I said, “No,” but finally the “no” became a “yes.” He is a teacher also, and together this is our 70th year of teaching, our 40th year of marriage!

7. Do you participate in education outside of the classroom? In what type of role?
I have taught Sunday School, but now I enjoy teaching my grandchildren. I think when you are a teacher, every day you see ways to teach others.

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I like writing tests. Yes, it’s true. I use to write benchmark tests for Wichita Public Schools. I like adding humor, clip art, etc. to those dreaded things. For instance: many of my tests feature characters named Cal Q. Late and Tommy Go Figure.


9. What profession would you not like to do?
I would never, ever teach preschool or kindergarten. For five years, I supervised student teachers at Wichita State University, and I always dreaded going into the preschool or kindergarten rooms. Those teachers are so talented and patient and most deserve a gold medal in teaching!

10. Who is your favorite author? Favorite educational author? And why?
Lynn Austin is my favorite fictional writer because her books are historically true and so I learn history (a subject I have never liked) as I am enjoying her stories.
My favorite educational author is Cindy Neuschwader. Her math adventures (such as Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi) are hysterical, and even my college students enjoy her whimsical math escapades.





Scipi's Products
When I was a math resource teacher, my students’ “favoritest” game was Bug Ya. It’s a game to practice multiplication facts, adding and subtracting plus an additional game which focuses on money.
Basic Facts Computation Game

My math dictionary took me the longest time to create. My students could not understand many definitions in their math glossary since it was written in “mathtease” and many definitions were missing. So, I created a math dictionary that is user friendly. It even has pictures.
Math Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...